Reaping the Benefits of Health and Safety Leadership Training
“Leadership and learning are indispensable together”
John F. Kennedy
A great business leader will always look for ways to develop their skills. So they can be an effective role model, instigator of action and source of inspiration for their people.
What a lot of leaders don’t consider is how health and safety fits into their personal and professional growth. Which means they’re missing out on brilliant business benefits from prioritising the wellbeing of their workforce.
In this blog, we discuss how an IOSH Leading Safely course can help senior executives and board members revolutionise their personal development and improve the safety culture of their company.
What Are Your Health and Safety Responsibilities?
Business leaders need to approach health and safety from all angles to effectively manage risk and create safe working environments. To achieve this, they need to consider:
- The value of strategic safety and health and its integration into business management systems and performance
- The consequences of poor safety and health
- The overall direction for safety and health in the organisation
- The importance of adequately resourcing your safety and health management system
- Why you should monitor and review your safety and health performance
When strategic action is taken to ensure these H&S considerations are met, the business can benefit in miraculous ways:
- Reduce accident rates, absence and sick leave
- Increase productivity and profits
- Improve reputation among suppliers, clients, candidates and partners
- Reduce insurance premiums and legal costs
- Improve business continuity
Understanding these responsibilities and benefits is the first step. The second is learning how to carry out such duties. This is where an IOSH Leading Safely course is worth its weight in gold.
IOSH Leading Safely Course – What to Expect
The IOSH Leading Safely course is designed to add heaps of value to your organisation. It gives senior leaders workable solutions to:
- Understand good health and safety practice on a global scale
- Benchmark health and safety performance against other leading businesses
- Shape a safety and health vision and identify the necessary steps to achieve it
- Strengthen skills and improve leadership performance
You’ll also learn:
- What health and safety means for different leadership roles
- The responsibilities and necessary behaviors of a leader
- What effective health and safety leadership looks like
- Actionable insights to make improvements to your company culture
- In-depth details on the benefits of robust health and safety leadership
At the end of your training, you will be able to perform an effective risk assessment that takes into account all workplace risks, such as fire and electrical safety. This empowers you to act appropriately should there be an accident to mitigate the consequences.
Such learning also helps you create a positive health and safety culture so your employees’ wellbeing is an ongoing priority, boosting their happiness. Plus, you gain the skills to become a mighty leader and a health and safety advocate your peers can look up to.
The end result? You can reap valuable business benefits, including better productivity, increased profits, an enhanced reputation and a stronger brand.
Choosing The Right Training Provider for Your Business
Look for an IOSH approved training provider to ensure you benefit from superior quality coaching. This ensures you don’t just walk away with a certificate. You gain professional training that will make a tangible impact on your leadership skills and organisation’s safety culture.
Use Vita Safety as a benchmark for top-notch training. With 50 years of combined experience, our course facilitators are experts in dealing with board-level and senior decision-makers in companies with up to £2 billion in turnover.
We have also worked with a vast range of businesses in different sectors, from manufacturing, retail and experimental entertainment to charities and theatres. So we understand the unique health and safety challenges of various industries and how to tackle them.
What to Expect
Prior to the course, your provider should ask you to complete a safety and health leadership diagnostic. You can complete this online via the official IOSH learning management system (LMS) or app. This will help them tailor the course to your organisation.
You can either proceed with the course in-house or at the provider’s training centre. At Vita Safety, training is usually done in-house and includes around three to four hours of face-to-face delivery time.
Our delegates also gain a personal action plan which can be completed with the support of our trainer. This helps them move forward using what they’ve learnt to ensure they get the maximum value from their training.
Lead So Others Can Follow
Adopt the touchstone of health and safety standards for your business and build a company your employees, clients, partners and suppliers can look up to.
In doing so, you have so much to gain. From increased profits to a stronger brand, the benefits for your organisation are immense.